Wink’s Weekly Words
Week 2 is in the books, and I want to remind you about our focus on struggling kids. It’s easy to work with kids who respond positively to us, but what about those who we struggle to connect with? As we enter Week 1.3, I challenge you to reflect on your work with those students. I came across this article by Bill Ferriter. It’s definitely worth the read.
Don’t miss your opportunity to connect with struggling students this week. It will take you farther than you know.
Hurricane Harvey Donations
Blue Ridge ISD has set up a checking account for donations to help support school districts affected by Hurricane Harvey. Checks should be made out to Blue Ridge ISD with Hurricane listed in the Memo section. There is not a way to donate online. Checks can also be taken to Independent Bank- Farmersville. If your campus or teachers receive any of these funds, please do not deposit them into any Activity Account. Please send them up to Admin, Attention Amanda, and I will have them deposited into the correct checking account.
Mr. Wink’s Weekly Blog to the community.
- It was a great week of peer coaching visits. Thank you for welcoming your colleagues into your classrooms to see the wonderful things you’re doing with students. Their feedback was very positive and we’re excited for all of you to begin visiting each other’s classrooms and having discussions about ways to keep growing our kids. Teach Like a Pineapple posters will be given out soon, so you can post activities/lessons you want to share through a classroom visit. Be thinking!
- It’s time to build your 1st 6 weeks assessment. See my blog post from August 31st on guidelines, deadline, etc. - https://goo.gl/14v6Az
- MAP Beginning of Year testing will take place in September. Your campus MAP Coordinator will be communicating with you about dates for giving tests and training.
- MAP Tests will be given for:
- Grades K-10: Reading
- Grades K-10: Math
- Grades 2-8, and 10: Science
- Your MAP Coordinators are:
- Elementary: Elder
- Middle: Townsend
- High: Raymer
- As I’ve mentioned, MAP isn’t meant to create extra testing for our students. It gives us TEKS driven data which shows student growth OUTSIDE OF STAAR. We like that!
- If you have questions or concerns, be sure to let me know.
- If you haven't already, be sure to follow the BRISD Curriculum FB page for resources, links and articles - https://www.facebook.com/brisdcurriculum/
Business Office Announcements
Special Programs Announcements
- Dyslexia Weekly Smore -https://goo.gl/RFJyyK
Upcoming Events (next 3 weeks)
- Sat, Sep 2 - Green Saturdays - Student Led Event from 7-11 p.m. at BRHS Gym
- Mon, Sep 4 - Labor Day Holiday: NO SCHOOL
- Fri, Sep 8 - End of 1st 3 Week Grading Period
- Formative Assessments Due
- Sun, Sep 10 - PAINT THE TOWN GREEN for Homecoming Week
- Fri, Sep 15 - Homecoming & Parade at 1:30 p.m.